Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Keg ...

Invited out by an old friend for supper this week and one of her favorite places to go is The Keg ~ I haven't eaten at The Keg since diagnosed but as I am always up to expand my list of places "safe" or "accommodating" to eat out - especially with friends who are not Celiacs - I said yes ok to her and then did what I needed to do to start "the process" of checking and re-checking a restaurant where I am going to put my health in their hands.  :)  So I called the restaurant and was encouraged by the gentleman that answered the phone - that he was familiar with the term "Celiac" and "Gluten free" and the words "Cross Contamination"  - yeah off to to great start.  My dear friend also grilled the staff when she made our reservations - stressing that she does not want her friend sick and also "checking" with them on their knowledge and ability to serve me a "safe" meal.  I was also touched and encouraged by this step ~ as we all know the struggles at points where those who are our friends or family may not understand the serious "issues" we have when putting our trust in an establishment to eat out.  And how though we have to go through these steps - time and time again - they acknowledge the importance and so when they (our friends) actually take on some of that responsibility - well it is truly touching.

I know The Keg does not have a dedicated Gluten Free menu - but I have to say I was impressed by the staff - waiter / manager on duty - to check with the kitchen, give me options of what I could and could not eat, and then provide me with a tasty well seasoned meal - and tasty it was.

We had the shrimp cocktail and the bacon wrapped scallops to start - they served both with a spicy sweet ginger garlic sauce (she said they ran out of the cocktail sauce without the Worcestershire sauce) and she felt this was a great alternative - for the hot appetizer, wasn't sure how it would go with the cold ~ well it went well with the bacon wrapped scallops but I wouldn't suggest it with the shrimp cocktail - that really needed a cocktail sauce.

For my entree I chose the Filet Mignon - Tenderloin wrapped in applewood smoked bacon - with a side of the oven roasted beets, steamed fresh asparagus, and a side of the cremini mushrooms.  The Keg knows how to grill a steak, it was delicious ~ the vegetables passable.  All in all I had a lovely meal and the dining experience was one I would repeat ~ as the staff were knowledgeable (meaning they went directly and talked to the chefs with all questions and then came back with answers) and pleasant ~ they made my dining experience with them comfortable and we had an enjoyable evening.

The atmosphere at the Skyview Keg is also a huge plus to a dining experience ~ the way the tables are set up makes for a restaurant where you can enjoy a private conversation and meal, and the decor is warm and inviting.  I am definitely putting this location on my list and thumbs up to the whole dining experience.

       


No comments:

Post a Comment